To password protect PDF files, you need to have a PDF creator program installed in your computer. There are several PDF creators available to use, Adobe Acrobat, Foxit PDF Creator, Nitro PDF Professional etc. are some of most commonly used programs. All of them provides facility to secure the PDF documents, you can either create a new pdf file or secure an already created pdf file.
To do so, lets take a look at this small tutorial available below:
I am currently using the Nitro PDF Professional in this tutorial, but steps are almost same for every program. I am including steps for how to do this in Adobe Acrobat as well.
- Run the program and Open the PDF file which you want to secure or Click on File button and select New to create a PDF file.
- Now click on Secure & Sign tab available in Ribbon Menu bar.
- Click on Password Security option and the Password Security form will open.
- Now Check the box which says Require a Password to open this document and enter the Password phrase of your choice and Click Finish.
There are several other options also available which helps you to edit the default permissions as well. You can restrict the printing as well as changes permissions also, doing this gives more security to the document and restricts the unwanted use of the document.
To do so, Just check the Permission box and set the parameters which you want. You can also restrict other readers from copying images, text and other information from document as well.
Here are simple steps on how to password protect PDF file in Adobe Acrobat:
- Open the PDF file in Acrobat
- Click on File menu and opt for Document Security from the menu
- Got to Security Options and select Acrobat Standard Security.
- Check the box which says Password required to open document.
- Type your desired password phrase and click OK.
Follow these simple steps and password protect your PDF files!