Here I come again with an useful tutorial on how to extend a disk partition in Windows 7 or Vista using the disk management snap-in available in Computer Management tools.
It often happens with us, We create a 30-40 GB partition for primary OS and later on when we install lots of software, the space crisis begins, partition gets full and bugs us with the warning of low disk space. So, to solve this bothering issue, we can use the free space available on other partition of disk and add it to the partition in which we need more disk space.
Note: if you are using disk as Basic then only it will work. Dynamic disks doesn’t support the shrink/extend volume options.
Lets start the tutorial, Follow these steps to successfully extend the disk partition.
1. Click Start and type compmgmt.msc and hit Enter, or click on Control Panel and open Administrative tools and select Computer Management from the list of options available.
2. In Computer Management, select Storage and open it, double click to open Disk Management Snap-in.
3. Now, right click the partition from which you want to squeeze the free disk space which you will want to add in the other disk partition and click on Shrink Volume option.
4. By default it will give you option wipe all the free space available on the partition but its better to leave the 5-8 GB free disk space. Click on Shrink button to complete the process.
5. A new Unallocated partition will be created and available to use.
6. Now right click on the partition which you want to extend and click on Extend Volume option.
7. The Extend Volume Wizard will run and show you the available disk space available to use. Select the Unallocated disk space and click Next.
8. Click on Finish button and wait for while until Disk Management completes the process.
9. You have now successfully extended your disk partition. The partition with the extended disk space will be shown in the disk detail area.
This option is available in Windows Vista and 7 only. For earlier version of Windows, you need to use third party Partition Manager software.